Titanium Corporation's oil sands project complements the Sustainable Mining Principles developed by the Mining Association of Canada (MAC) and adopted by the oil sand industry. These Principles call for performance measures in areas such as footprint of disturbance, speed of reclamation, emissions, energy usage, and water usage.
Environmental improvements associated with Titanium Corporation's project could enhance performance in a number of these areas.
Potential Benefits and Environmental improvements include:
- Utilization of waste tailings from non-renewable resources
- Eliminates the need for mining in the heavy mineral recovery process
- Reduces oil sands tailings volumes by converting waste into valuable products
- Additional bitumen recovery from the oil sands resource
- Significant reduction of volatile organic carbons (VOCs) and particulates emissions through the recovery of additional bitumen and hydrocarbons otherwise lost in the tailings
- Reduction of the intensity of carbon dioxide and nitrous oxide emissions
- Production of other mineral products
- Creation of a new sustainable industry in Alberta and Canada